House ravaged by fire

Wednesday, February 11, 2009
A serious fire out break errupted, last night, between the hours of 8pm and 9:30pm, in a compound belonging to one Musa Touray, situated just behind the NAWEC station in Serrekunda, Daily Observer can reveal.

The inferno reportedly burnt to ash over 6 rooms and two parlours, destroying valuable items such as refrigerators, DVDs, cloths, a host of other valuable house hold items as well as cash. On a visit to the scene, this reporter spoke to the victims. Hawa Tamba, a visibly depressed victim of the fire disaster, said she had bought a candle and light it in her house before getting into her bath room. There was no electricity at the time, she said.

But on return to the room, Hawa found out that the table cloth had caught fire, and that an electricity plug in her apartment had been blown up. “I tried to contain the fire,” she said, “but I got burnt on my hand. So I shouted for help.” Madam Tamba, another victim, also informed the Daily Observer that she lost all her materials in her house to the ravaging fire, while Fatou Suso lost a cash amount of D20,000, plus some other valuables.

She said that when the fire incident started, she heard the noise and ran out of the house with her children. Nfamara Tunkara, a younger brother to the land lord, Musa Touray, revealed that the fire gutted 6 rooms and two parlours in the compound. But he thanked the police intervention unit and the fire service officers for their support in containing the fire. Ensa Badjie, Inspector General of police and his men were also seen on the ground, assisting the victims.

Author: by Assan Sallah