Guinea Bissau ALERT: Radio stations ordered to close down
Sunday, March 08, 2009
Guinea Bissau’s privately-owned radio stations were on March 2, 2009 ordered by the country’s authorities to cease broadcasting.
Media Foundation for West Africa (MFWA)’s correspondent reported that the directive followed political disturbances in the country that have so far claimed two prominent lives including President Joao Bernardo Vieira and the country’s army commander. Several people have also been injured in the attacks which began on the night of March 1.
The correspondent said the radio stations were ordered to cease broadcasting because they could spread false information about the mutiny.
However, Samuel Fernandes, the army spokesman told the BBC that the closure was to ensure the security and safety of the journalists.
Guinea Bissau has three privately-owned radio stations which run along the state-run Radio Nacional. The stations are Radio Pindjiguiti, Radio Bombolom and Voice of Quelele.