Zimbas plead not guilty

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

In the ongoing Zimbas case at the Bundung Magistrates Court presided over by Senior Magistrate Kumba Sillah-Camara, the four accused persons charged with murdering young Ebrima Morrow Ndure on July 26, at Bundung Muritanie during a Zimba show, have pleaded not guilty.

After taking their plea, Lawyer Lamin Jobarteh, the counsel to Ebrima Sanyang, the third accused person, requested for the police prosecutor to make available the list of the prosecution witnesses, cautionary statements, voluntary statements, and the post mortem report of the deceased.

Lawyer Edu Gomez, the defence counsel to the other three accused persons, Muhammed Faal, Alieu Faal and Doudou Jawla, 1st, 2nd and 4th accused persons, concurred with his colleague. He said the offence that they were charged with was very serious and is ranked the highest among the categories of criminal offences.

Police Prosecutor Inspector Saine said that the file had been sent to the Attorney General’s office for legal advice. But Lawyer Jobarteh objected to this assertion as he stated that what are normally sent to the AG’s office are photocopies and not originals.
He added that even if the originals are sent, the police still have the privilege to make the photocopies available.

Senior Magistrate Kumba Sillah-Camara told the prosecutor to provide the defence counsel with the necessary documents.
The case was then adjourned to Monday, August 25, for the prosecution to open their case.

Author: by Yunus S Saliu